Cherry- Pecan Crumble
Cherry Pie Filling:
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. minute tapioca
- 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 6 cups pitted tart red cherries
- 1 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
Heavy cream, whipped cream or ice cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, tapioca and nutmeg. Add the almond extract, cherries, combine thoroughly. Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes, then pour into a 9 x 13 inch greased baking dish.
- Make the topping: In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and butter with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the chopped pecans and spoon the topping over the cherry mixture, spreading it out evenly. Bake the crumble for 1 hour, or until it is bubbling and the top is golden.
- Serve slightly warm with heavy cream, whipped cream or ice cream.
Recipe from "Marcia Adams' Heirloom Recipes".
Backus Page House Museum