Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Pre heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup and set aside.
- To the remaining crumb mixture, add the baking powder, soda, salt, sour cream, almond extract and 1 egg blended well. With oiled hands gently pat the dough over the bottom and 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan, the mixture will be a bit sticky.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 egg. Blend well. Pour into the batter-lined pan. In a small sauce pan warm the raspberry preserves. Carefully spoon the preserves evenly over the cream cheese mixture. Stir the sliced almonds into the reserved crumb mixture and sprinkle over the preserves.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the cream cheese filling is set and the crust is deep golden brown.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan. The cake can be served warm or cool.
Backus Page House Museum