Saturday, April 11, 2020

Saturday Sightings - Caraway

Hi everyone!

I mentioned last week about how I will be posting weekly with a picture of something surrounding the museum and on its grounds, as well as a quick update on how the buildings are faring as we are all keeping our distance.  I decided that I will turn it into a post every Saturday called "Saturday Sightings" and it will have both the update and some fun facts about the wonderful thing that I have captured that week!  I have admired and enjoyed the beauty all around the museum for years; it is both pleasing to the eye, and so diverse!

All was fine and well with the buildings when I checked on Friday :)


This weeks nugget of nature is the caraway in the museum kitchen garden that has started to come back from its winter nap!

Caraway:
  • It is an edible herb. 
  • The seeds are the most used part and they can be used in baking, soups and stews. 
  • Caraway resembles a carrot.
  • The plant will triple its size by its second year!
  • The caraway spice (made from its hard, brown seeds) is an important part in the cuisine of many regions. 
Stay safe and well!

Catie Welch

No comments: