Poorhouse Cemetery Dedication
A Dedication Service is scheduled for the Poorhouse Cemetery in Simcoe this Sunday (June 5th) at 2:00 p.m.
Located on County property northeast of the Norfolk County Court House, this site is the final resting place of many Norfolk County residents who resided at the Farm, more commonly known as the Poorhouse/County Home.
The Cemetery was designated as a Norfolk County Heritage site in 2007. It is also recognized as an official cemetery within Norfolk County
Reverend Paul Sherwood of Trinity Anglican Church will officiate. Mary Caughill, Chair of the Norfolk Heritage Committee, and Bill Terry, a member of the former Norfolk Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society, will also participate in the service which will be emceed by Norfolk Councillor Peter Black.
Ms. Caughill notes that the Heritage Committee began to plan the event some time ago. Last year a Storyboard had been installed beside 28 memorial markers that had been dug out of a wooded area and laid flat in a cement pad in the early 1970’s.
Bill Terry has unearthed a newspaper article from 1968 that appeared in the Port Dover Maple Leaf on the 100 anniversary of the home. The article quotes from the records of Monroe Landon (1859). The final two paragraphs offer a fitting reference point for the dedication event.
“It is the county’s intention to plant trees again on the flats and no doubt that area will eventually become part of a park system. It would seem of future historic interest to preserve and mark the site of the old house, the first cabin, the spring, the sugar maple still standing that the boy Landon planted in the southeast corner of the barn yard about 1840 and most important the old cemetery near the northeast boundary. Some of the old split cedar fence rails that were produced on the place may still be found along this cemetery.
The old cemetery was cleaned up this winter by the reforestation crew, under Mr. Cecil Pettinger, and is deeply appreciated by all those who have noticed the improvement. We hope to plant it to ground covers and bulks.”
The public is welcome to Sunday’s event which will take place rain or shine. Parking is available at the courthouse and along the roadway. Attendees will be required to walk to the site.
Manager, Heritage & Culture
Ph: 519-426-5870 ext. 1347