Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Digital World War Wednesdays: Fatalities at No. 4 B&G, Fingal



     Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a nice relaxing Christmas spent with loved ones. I also hope you were lucky enough to get in some conversations with older relatives and hear some family histories and "news of the past"! If there's one thing we do all have in common it's a connection to history.

     For this week's post I thought I'd share with you all a little something I made as part of my final project for a course in Digital History this past semester. The assignment was to use a digital tool to interpret history and create an online exhibition for it to be shared with others. If you haven't already noticed, I'm pretty obsessed with the No. 4 Bombing and Gunnery School in Fingal, so I decided that using that topic for my project would be a good first foray into what I'll be doing in grad school. After trying out some interesting options that were way too sophisticated for my capabilities and comfort zone (once a Dunwich gal, always a Dunwich gal), I decided that StoryMap, a project by Knight Lab at Northwestern University was the best format. Basically, I took information about the eight fatal accidents that occurred during the operation of the school and layered it with geographical data to map where the accidents happened in relation to the places as we know them today. Visitors can navigate through the map and read about how the accidents happened as well as biographical information on the victims involved. It's pretty cool on a computer, but I think it works best on iPad or mobile if you have that option available! Thanks so much for checking it out, and I'd love to hear what you think!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.knightlab.com/storymapjs/794ad5f535c48b47ba055a3f44024cdc/fingal-b-g-fatalities/draft.html

Thanks for reading (and clicking),
     Delany

No comments: