Potato and leek soup
- 2 large leeks
- 1-1 1/4 pounds of potatoes (3 medium sized)
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 oz butter
- 2 thyme sprigs (fresh)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Chop the leeks. Wash them in a bowl of water, allowing the grit to fall to the bottom of the bowl. Lift the sliced leeks into a colander to drain. Rinse well and pat dry before using.
- Dice the potatoes and onion.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add the leeks, potatoes and onions, stirring to coat them in melted butter. Turn the heat to low. Cover the pot and allow vegetables to 'sweat' for 15 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes to prevent burning.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, salt and pepper.
- Turn up heat and bring to simmering point. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Blend the soup until smooth with an immersion blender or in batches using a food processor.