- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 lemon
- sugar, to taste
- ice cubes and mint sprigs
- Wash the barley, then put it into a large stainless steal pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for two minutes, then strain the liquid. Return the barley to the rinsed pan.
- Wash the lemon and pare the rind from it with a vegetable peeler. Squeeze the juice.
- Add the lemon rind and 2 1/2 cups cold water to the pan containing barley. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then simmer the mixture gently for 1 1/2- 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stain the liquid into a jug, add the lemon juice, and sweeten to taste. Leave to cool. Pour the liquid into a bottle and keep in the refrigerator.
- To serve, dilute to taste with cold water, add ice cubes and mint sprig.
Backus-Page House Museum