Not many children would have attended school or received any education in the 1850's as they were needed to help around the house and farm. Leading up to the 1950's one room school houses became more popular. These school house also served as the Church and as a meeting spot for various community activities. School houses were usually located in rural areas and because they were in the country they had no water and little sanitation. Wells were made into toilets by using a plank with a cut out hole in it. When water was needed they relied on the farmers near the school during the summer months and melted snow during the winter months. One big advancement for the school house in the 1950's was the ocassional milk truck, which would deliver dairy products during the summer months.
The above picture is of the Coughran School house in the 1950's. This school house had two entrances, one for the female students and one for the male students.