Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Bacon and Onions
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup peanut oil, divided
- 6 slices of turkey bacon, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 tbsp parsley
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water; add the vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water until cooled to room temperature, then cut into 3/4 inch chunks.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add the bacon pieces and sauté until they are nearly done and beginning to crisp up, about 5 minutes. Remove both from the pan with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Return the sauté pan to the stove, add the remaining oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Add the potato chunks, sprinkle with the nutmeg, and cook without stirring until they are golden brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Turn the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir in the bacon and onions, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley.
Backus-Page House Museum