Black Cherry Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup black cherry jam
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- To toast walnuts, bake them in a shallow pan at 375 F for 5-6 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and the sugars. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs. Add the cheese and toss to combine.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the mixture and set aside. Press the remaining mixture evenly into the bottom of a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Spread the jam evenly over the crust. Sprinkle the nuts over the jam and top with the reserved crumb mixture, pressing the crumbs gently into the jam.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan, then cut into bars.
Makes 32 cookies
Recipe from "Marcia Adams' Heirloom Recipes".
Backus Page House Museum