Sunday, June 29, 2014

Behind The Scenes Sundays

Behind the Scenes Sundays with Angela Bobier, Cultural Manager

For those of you who are new readers or who don't know me, I grew up in Wallacetown and now live in West Lorne with my husband, John, and our cat Charly and dog Jack.  I joined the board of the Tyrconnell Heritage Society in 2009 and progressed from Director, to Vice President, and President.  Two years ago I became the Cultural Manager of the Backus-Page House Museum where I enjoy pair my love of history, the local community, and background with sales, team building, and business.  I am currently earning my diploma in Cultural Resource Management.  My blog posts will be more what happens in the office, with the museum collection, research and operating the society and museum.

Last year time was spent researching our parlour.  We are currently lacking in appropriate window and floor coverings, accesories and artwork.  The focus was on what types of window dressings Andrew and Mary Jane Backus might have had in the 1850's.  Not only would we need to know the colours and patterns available and popular in Tyrconnell, but what fabric did they use, and the style of curtains appropiate for the parlour.  What surprised me was that plain linen roller blinds would have been used in addition to curtains.   

Luckily, Melanie Button and I, found some sources that had pictures of actual fabric available in the 1850's.  I narrowed the choices down to 10 that would match the current furniture upholstery in our collection, printed them off, and took them with me to Len's Mills in London.  I found 5 prints and purchased a sample of each.  The final decision will be left up to, you, the visitors to the museum.

What pattern is your preference?  I'm calling this "Pocket Change for Parlour Curtains".  All 5 samples are posted in the parlour with a decorated jar paired with each.  To cast your vote, just put some pocket change into the jar of the pattern you think we should make the curtains from.  All the change will be used to purchase the fabric and have the curtains made.  The samples will be up until July 31, 2014.  Visit us at the Heritage Farm Show on September 13-14, 2014 to see the new curtains made from the winning fabric.

Let me know what kinds of things you would like to know about our museum.  This is your chance to ask a Curator and influence my future blog posts.  Have a Happy Canada Day on Tuesday.  Sarah and I will have a display, the gift shop and settler toys to play with at the Dutton Community Centre from 2:30 - 4:30pm during the July 1st celebrations. 

P.S. Today's my 38th birthday (June 29th)!!!  Please leave a comment, like this post, follow our blog, and share on all your social media accounts.   



No comments: